Friday, January 31, 2014

Thirty

I just googled "Where can I buy time?"

I wasn't trying to start an esoteric conversation with the internet. I actually want to buy the latest issue of Time Magazine. Their cover story is about The Mindful Revolution, as they're deeming it, and more specifically finding focus in our high stress environment. And it's a good thing I wasn't looking for answers to one of life's most difficult questions on the internet, because all the search yielded were some ideas about the best time to buy ipads and where to invest in housing this year. I feel compelled to tell you that a related search was "can you buy a panda". I also learned that there's a website and group of people dedicated to retiring the penny. According to this site, in 2011 it actually cost 2.4 cents to mint a penny, so adjusting for inflation, that's approximately I don't care about math.

Not that I don't think about time. I keep getting reminded because yesterday was my 30th birthday. This past weekend, the last of my twenties, I spent with my 2 favorite toddlers, visiting my grandma in the nursing home she just moved into, and eating fro yo on my couch with some white wine on a Scott Caan Netflix bender. And I loved it.

A decade ago, when I was about to turn 20, I was in college, my major was undeclared and I had no idea what was happening in my life. I've since graduated, lived and traveled all over the world, and been through so much "life experience" that it's no wonder I often feel exhausted. When I first thought about turning 30 I was socially programmed to measure my time in milestone accomplishments like promotions, marriages, babies, etc. But those aren't the things I count. What I'm proud of is the internal work I've done that has made me a better person for all who surround me. That after 30 years on this earth I know who I am and what is important to me. And I know that the people who I love are aware of that love without any doubt. That's what I'm proud of. That's what I've accomplished.

I am so glad I don't have to be a twentysomething anymore! Bring it on, 30's. I'm ready for what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment