Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What I Ate - Heaven Sent Desserts

One of the perks of being an event planner is you get the chance to check out some great venues (read: fancy new hotels), and delicious food, and it's usually in the form of a party for event industry folks like myself. Recently I was asked to attend a dessert tasting at Heaven Sent Desserts in San Diego's North Park and was oh so pleasantly surprised with their delicious treats.

Jenni, the manager and wearer of all hats, was so friendly and welcoming. I absolutely love food and eating, but overall I'm more of a savory lover, so I figured I'd have a few polite bites of each offering and be on my way to dinner at El Camino. I underestimated Heaven Sent Desserts.


Pictured is a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, a white cake with lavender and raspberry filling and a white chocolate ganache frosting (nom nom nom) and a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache on top and a pistachio mousse filling. I missed the chocolate-obessed gene that most girls have, but this cake was good. I died for the pistachio ganache.



While everything I tried was good, the pièce de résistance was the vanilla bean panna cotta with basil, strawberries, and a balsamic reduction. After sampling the above cakes and other pastries, I still ate the whole thing. It was such a delight for the palette. The vanilla bean panna cotta was cool and sweet and reminiscent of madagascar (had I ever been there). The fresh basil was the perfect garnish and the strawberries were so sweet and juicy. This dish is perfect for an outdoor summer event in lieu of a traditional cake. The balsamic reduction was amazing. I am a balsamophile and will basically drink a bit of it on it's own. Reducing the balsamic makes it a little thicker and a little sweeter, and drizzled on top of the panna cotta, the strawberries, and the basil, it was just absolutely perfect. The presentation was lovely and the taste was heavenly. I wish I had another one right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment